Today I ventured out with my Adventure Buddy JimFab to tackle the Hassayampa. The goal was to ride from I-10 to Wickenburg, in the Hassayampa River bottom. We did not have a gpx track to follow, we just decided to ride where ever we felt like and follow the sand. We did not know how many miles it would entail, and we certainly did not know how long the ride would take. Pretty certain no bike tires had been on our intended path.
Did we make it? NO. We ran into deep sand at about 13 miles in, and fighting a head wind, with quads about to explode while riding the SS Fatbike. We adjusted our plans, and adapted to a new adventure. Below is the list. Why the list? Because I rule by the list and dominate from the middle of the Back of the Pack. That's why. Oh, and I am tired of structuring proper paragraphs.
"This ride is like a perpetual hill! I haven't stopped pedaling in 3 hours. We haven't coasted yet!"
"The wash is more "washy" than I thought it would be."
"Are we trespassing?" "That sign doesn't say do not enter." " That one does though."
- Fatbikes make you smile.
- Fatbikes are heavy.
- Fatbikes in deep sand seem even heavier.
- Fatbikes in deep sand, pushing into a hard head wind, up hill on SS is ludicrous.
- Self Supported Fatbiking into the desert with no water is tough. If you don't want to carry any gear, stick to your local Thursday night ride where someone else will carry your spare tube, pump, snacks and repair kit.
- I'm tired of typing "Fatbike".
- I never get tired of jumping gates and barb wire fences.
- 37 miles. 6:25. Moving Avg 7.7. Total Ascent only 1465. Sand -tons. If you want the real "Data" you better click on over the B.P.R. main page and wait for the Philosofizer. I don't do "The Data Dump"...mainly for legal reasons.
- I was disappointed I didn't' see any Rednecks, dead bodies, or people burying dead bodies.
- If a wash is 2 miles wide, and neither of the riders have a gpx track to follow, chances are they will get separated at some point and wander around looking for one another. Maybe.
- Maybe...we should have thought about riding downhill? North to South.
- Picture dump below.
I was told to always add a song or video to the posts so we don't bore the viewers. I rarely listen to people, but today I'll make an exception...for B.P.R. If you even made it this far?
If at work...turn the sound way UP!
(NOT SAFE FOR JUNIOR B.P.R. MEMBERS) (clean parody)